Tuesday 2 October 2012

5 things I won't do at the Cheltenham Literature Festival

I'm spending this weekend at the Cheltenham Literature Festival in the company of J.K. Rowling, Benedict Cumberbatch and Christopher Eccleston. As is my pre-geekout ritual, here are five things I'll try not to do at the event.









When I go to the Cheltenham Literature Festival I won't...

1... ask JK Rowling if Dumbledore is really dead
She's there to talk about her new book The Casual Vacancy and not the Harry Potter series. I will not be the fangirl who asks about Dumbledore.

2... squee like a ridiculous fangirl at Benedict Cumberbatch
Yes he's fabulous, yes I'm excited about sitting in a room with him, no I won't be the embarrassing fangirl. I'll attempt to keep the squee in my head and on Twitter.

3... ask Christopher Eccleston why he ditched the TARDIS after only one season and why the hell he agreed to G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
He's there to talk about Sophocles and The National Theatre's production of Antigone, both of which speak to the Classicist in me. I wrote my undergrad dissertation about Greek tragedy, so this discussion should be really interesting. But as soon as he starts talking about his role as Creon, ruler of Thebes, I know I'll want to ask him this: "If you're from Thebes, how come you sound like you're from the north?"

4... drink too much champagne too early in the day 
I know what you're thinking, there's never too much champagne! But in this case there could be, and it could lead to me getting lost on the way to a talk, asking people what they think will happen in the final season of Fringe, telling Cumberbatch that I adore him during his talk... The possibilities are endless and terrifying, so I'll monitor my champagne intake accordingly.

5... buys books I won't read 
I'm going to the event for purely fangirl reasons, so I need to resist the peer pressure of everyone around me oohing and aahing over books. I rarely read mainstream books - I'm more into film studies texts and books that cross over with my fandom like The Philosophy of The X-Files. I know my limits, so I won't be impulse-buying anything.


So that's my plan - don't squee and don't drink too much. Stay tuned to find out what happens.







1 comment:

  1. I hope you enjoy it - I'm going be working there in the Waterstones event, so will miss out on JK! =(

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it clean!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...