Saturday 24 September 2011

One reason to watch... Drive (2011)

One reason to watch... Drive - it proves that most films have way too much dialogue.

Pic: Courtesy of FilmFirstMedia

Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive confused my senses. One minute it feels like an 80s hard man movie, the next I'm hypnotised by the performances, the music and the cinematography. And of course, Ryan Gosling.

On the outside it's your typical high concept film - hollywood stunt driver sidelines as a wheelman who doesn't ask questions, then gets in over his head when a heist goes wrong. Based on the summary on the IMDB listing alone I shouldn't love this film. But I was mesmerised.

Yes, mostly by Ryan Gosling but not just because of his face or his biceps. His character, named only as Driver in the credits, spends most of the story not talking. There are seriously long moments of not talking throughout this film - often when he's driving, mostly when he's with Irene (Carey Mulligan), and especially when he's channelling Patrick Bateman and going a bit (American) psycho.

This is the kind of film that reminds me why I love going to the cinema. It surprised me, moved me, upset me and I suspect will stay with me for a long time.

Go see it. I'm off to download the soundtrack (you will too).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it clean!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...